Cartoon Network

11 January 2020

Re: [DIY] Wire problem

 

If you are laying on a dirt floor getting shocked something is seriously wrong! Capital letters or not, your safety is most important!! If I offended you with my concern for your life, so be it. I am a licensed electrician who has seen too many people getting hurt or worse because of this very situation (breaking a neutral that is on a multiwire circuit). I will offend anybody if necessary to save their life!!!



On January 10, 2020, at 10:35 PM, "mike shoaf mike.shoaf@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

You are most likely sharing the neutral (grounded) wire between two fuses and the neutral may be broken or separated somewhere. If you took it loose to make your splice that is the break! The small fuse box is a sub panel so you may overload its feeder from the main panel. IT IS TIME TO UPGRADE YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM FROM THE SERVICE AND PUT YOUR PUMP CIRCUIT IN A GROUNDED PANEL!!!



On January 10, 2020, at 7:21 PM, "Ron Johnson l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

I am adding a pump to the crawl space under a building.  The circuits are fuse, not circuit breakers.  There is no ground in the original wires.  I decided to tap into an outlet for the power to the pump. The fuse for that circuit is in the hall on a subpanel of 4 fuses that's controled from the main fuse box in a closet.  I removed the fuse for that circuit before working on it.

 

When it got to the part where I had to pull the existing wires for one of the outlet, I found that the power was still on.  So I taped up the hot side and immediately got zapped again.  With my trusty meter, I checked the voltage on both wires with the muddy ground underneath: 120 volts on the hot and 120 volts on the common – but 0 volts between them. Somehow, when the fuse is put in, one of the wires drops out, giving 120 volts between them.  This is the first time I've ever come across this.  I have no idea how this would even happen.


Has anyone run into this situation?  I may have to rerun the line from the fuse box, but I would rather not.


__._,_.___

Posted by: mike shoaf <mike.shoaf@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment