Cartoon Network

05 June 2015

Re: [DIY] Thermostats

 

Thanks, Bob.  I think I'll go with the touchscreen then.

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done about the the backlight.  Many reviewers have complained about it.  The manual doesn't give that option.  I did read that there is a higher end model of that brand that does just what you mentioned.....always dim and brightens when activated.  This model has the option to add a C wire so that you can go batteryless.  I was hoping that perhaps that would somehow give an option for the backlight but it doesn't look like it.

I actually looked into adding a C wire as mine does not currently have one.  It would be nice not to have to change batteries.....and corroded ones at that.  I think it might be a bit too much to add the wire though.  I saw an option to simply add a jumper but then you can't use the "fan only" option.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Bob Davis bob@wrobertdavis.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I don't know the answer to reliability issues with touch screen thermostats.  I have a 4 zone AC/heating system with 4 thermostats.  One of them failed in the first month.  After that replacement, there have been no problems (in service 2 years).  The new digital thermstats are superior to the old style mercury switch thermostats.  The setting is more accurate and they have virtually zero headband, meaning that the temperature is held dead on, if your ac/heat system is in good shape and properly designed.


I highly recommend the programmable thermostat. The one you showed (with the switches) looked like a pure manual setup. I would not bother with it.

As to having to press a button to light up, that is a usually a configuration option.  I set mine to have a dim continuous backlight so I can find it in the dark.  When I touch it, it gets full brightness. The dim setting is not distracting in a dark bedroom.

Bob

On Jun 4, 2015, at 5:44 PM, subprong subprong@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Looks like a downside on this is that in order to activate the backlight, you must press and activate any control on the display.  Hence, you'd need to push the arrow up a degree in order to check the actual temperature and then push the arrow back down to keep it at your desired temp.


__._,_.___

Posted by: subprong <subprong@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment