Cartoon Network

03 August 2015

Re: [DIY] Re: Trap under kitchen sink

 

Never seen copper DWV?  You're too young.  It was used in the 60's.  PVC is less than 50 years old.

On 8/2/2015 7:32 PM, Ron Johnson l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] wrote:
 

Copper?  I've never heard of copper being used on waste line.  Are you sure it's not galvanized or cast iron? 
 
If there are threads to screw into, there are PVC adapters for that. Be sure the threads are clean on the metal and after testing that you can screw in the PVC, glue it and tighten it as much as possible by hand, the 1/4 turn by wrench.
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 15:41:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [DIY] Re: Trap under kitchen sink

 
I guess what I'm trying to say is I replaced several pieces now. But I have the last PVC piece meeting a copper elbow piece. 

The PVC piece slides Into the copper elbow, just like the original copper piece did. 

I have the PVC nut screwing onto the elbow, and I am using the tapered washer underneath the PVC nut,  but I'm still getting a leak. I tried different brand washers but no luck. 

Does anyone have a tip where I can make that connection leak proof? All the other PVC connections work fine. It is just that one connection from PVC to copper. This is frustrating. 

Thanks for your Input?

Frank 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2015, at 8:56 AM, "Terry THenne1713@aol.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I agree, go back w/ PVC, and assembly will require NO tools. (Hand-tighten ONLY);  I have only seen PVC leak twice, one a neighbor put a tapered washer in backwards, another where the plastic washer snapped after 10-years (a $0.25 fix).  Take a picture w/ cell phone, and buy the whole assembly.  Installation may occasionally require a down pipe, or pipe to wall to be cut a little to fit.  Most any saw will do.  Kitchen sinks are always 1-1/2", baths are 1-1/4", so get the 1-1/2"







__._,_.___

Posted by: David Cox <dcwired@att.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment