Cartoon Network

06 March 2017

[DIY] Re: Recommendation Please Stud Finder for Stucco walls

 

Good luck - My southern AZ stucco home, constructed in 1976, has what I call random stud placements.  So once I found a stud, using the drilling method, I could not be assured that the next studs would be placed 16 inches or even 24 inches on center.   The garage door opener support above the garage door was secured to the wall with bolts that drove only into the stucco, not into any stud support.  Of course, after 30 years, those bolts worked out.  What I did was drill until I found studs, found two placed 30 inches apart, used one located stud to attach a wood support and then made a bracket attaching it to two ceiling joists - they were 24 inches on center.  


I now want to install cabinets - what I plan is to place 2x4s vertically on the face on the stucco wall for support with a front leg support to the floor.  Another option would be to place 2x4s horizontally on the wall after locating the studs - the 2x4s, face against the wall, will cover up the drill holes used to locate the studs.  My issue is I do not trust the studs to hold the weight. 

I thought of using an epoxy mix to secure the bolts driven into the stucco - I do not know how much support the stucco provides alone but that might be an option.  My armature northern building experience, however, sees that method as hookey.  

Hope you find a stud locating method, other than drilling small holes to locate studs.  Working with stucco generates a lot of dust - even drilling small holes - wear a good mask.

Gene



__._,_.___

Posted by: genoman45@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment