Cartoon Network

10 February 2018

Re: [DIY] Re: AFCI

 

LLE is a Limited Licensed Electrician.  That means I can do any work up to $25,000 but I cannot call myself a contractor.  Since I got the license mainly so I can work on my own buildings, those limits are pretty meaningless to me.  In a pinch, I can hire myself out, but I don't think I want to do that.  My situation also means that I don't work in the field day after day and so I tend to forget a few things and need to brush up when I do use it.


The only AFCI I found at Lowes is the circuit breaker AFCI.  Since I am putting in a new box, I need to comply with the NEC on that.  AFCI is not he same as GFCI and they serve different purposes.


If you have an existing circuit already, you do not need to make any changes.  The only change I almost always insist on would be to add a GFCI in the bathroom and kitchen.  There is no rule saying you need to make any changes to keep up with the code, even that one, but I do it anyway.  I have a building with knob and tube wiring - it works and is not dangerous, so it's still there.


The buildings I have are usually older than me - they were built in the early 1900's (except the one antebellum building).  Those buildings usually have insufficient amount of outlets and the wires are getting dangerously frayed.  But if  your buildings are only 35, that shouldn't be a problem.  If you don't need to touch them, don't.  If you need to add more outlets, consider wiremolding.  It's easier then cutting a hole in the wall and another to the space below, then crawling around to deal with the wire run, though some people don't like the visual aspect.  If you are putting in a GFCI, remove the existing box and get the deeper blue plastic old work box - it has enough space to run the wires and hold the GFCI.




From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 2scott@bellsouth.net [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 3:54 AM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DIY] Re: AFCI
 
 

I have several duplex and townhome rental properties with  average age  being 35 years.  In the past

I have been pretty handy in installing GFCI outlets in kitchens and bathrooms etc but these new
AFCI  completely baffle me.   I dont know if they are really better than GFCI or why and dont know
if I could afford to replace all my outlets or circuit breakers to the AFCI breakers.
If you are an LLE....   I assume that means "licensed electrician" :-)   do you have any words
of advice for older properties ?

__._,_.___

Posted by: Ron Johnson <l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment