Cartoon Network

11 July 2016

Re: [DIY] Steel sectional garage door

 

I fear but do not know that the "offset" on the metal is different from the plastic.  I would rather have the metal as the plastic has already proven it's worth.

J Hnidy
Pixel C

On Jul 10, 2016 12:12, "Steve Wilson virtualwilz@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


What I usually do when I have a task that is new to me is try to find a nameplate on the object I'm trying to repair. Then I use searches on the Internet or eBay with the manufacturers name and a simple description of the part I'm looking for. Then go by pictures of the items you find, then refine the description until you find a part number or a close match. Sometimes it takes playing with words to find a search that works, plus patience.

I did searches with what you described and I came up with a lot of metal hinges, some had plastic wheels on the rollers. The hinge piece I wouldn't think would have much effect as metal but the wheel might have different wear and noise characteristics than what the rest of the wheels have. One thing that might be different from metal to plastic on the hinge is if something stressed the door, a metal hinge wouldn't break as fast as a plastic one may and may lead to door damage when stressed compared to just a hinge breaking.

Good luck, maybe someone with more roll up door experience will chime in.

Try eBay, I have a lot of luck with hard to find parts there. Be specific in your search, you might find an exact replacement.

Steve


On 7/8/2016 2:55 PM, Jerry Hnidy jhnidy@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] wrote:
 

My garage door has plastic hinges.  The one that broke also has a wheel.  Does anybody know if I can buy plastic?  Or will the metal hinges play nice with the plastic?

J Hnidy
Pixel C





__._,_.___

Posted by: Jerry Hnidy <jhnidy@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment