Cartoon Network

12 September 2017

[DIY] Re: How to reset a Carrier furnace

 

You most likely have a fan that pulls a very slight negative pressure to start the draft out the flue. There is also a pressure switch that has to detect the draft to allow the burner to ignite. Could either be the fan or the switch.

 

 

OK, I think I found the culprit. When I climbed in the attack, I found the main vent disconnected. See photo. I also attached a drawing of the installed orientation from the manual. I also found screws on the floor. A few years ago, the fan unit had to be replaced. I think when that happened, the repairperson only shoved the vent tube back into position and didn't screw it back in, and then over time the natural expansion and contraction loosened it.

My wife kicked on the heater while I was in there and I observed the red light sequence. I THINK the short blips were 3 (might be 2) and the long one was definitely 1. I did actually hear the ignition "Phoomp" and I smelled gas. However, with the vent off like that, I got nervous when I smelled the gas and had my wife shut it off rather than run it again.

The error codes on the panel are:

31 (I think it's this one) - Pressure, Draft Safeguard, Aux-Limit Switch or Blocked Vent Switch did not close or reopened (downflow).
Check for: Proper vent sizing, low inducer voltage, defective inducer motor, defective power motor or capacitor, restricted vent, defective pressure switch, excessive wind, inadequate combustion air supply, disconnected or obstructed pressure tubing

21 - Gas Heating Lockout.
Control will NOT auto reset. Check for mis-wired gas valve, defective control (valve relay)

Based on all this information, does it seem logical that it's just the disconnected vent or might there be some other issue? I didn't want to connect it myself without knowing if I might be jarring some sensitive equipment or something. I tried for a few minutes but the pipe was being stubborn for a good fit. Thanks!

 

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Robert Rushing" <rnrushing@suddenlink.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
furnace.jpg furnaceschematic.jpg

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment