Cartoon Network

17 September 2017

Re: [DIY] Leak from upstairs toilet to ceiling AC vent

 

I don't have a direct answer, but I think I can eliminate some variables. 

First, I can't imagine how pulling up weeds in the yard would have anything to do with an upstairs toilet leaking unless you've got some bizarre, looping, solar heated system that ties both ends in a knot. 
Second, I can't imagine how a heat wave could have anything to do with a leaking toilet--although huh it could cause a sweaty toilet--unless you've got serious structural/moisture issues that causes major upheaval of the structure with temperature and humidity swings.
If a leaky toilet is the source of the problem (rule out sweaty first) and it really does only do it periodically, I think it's more likely someone is camping out on the toilet looking at dank memes on their phone, leaning back, and causing the tank to leak as they sit there and not noticing or saying anything--and that is a stretch. You probably need a pro to come in and diagnose. 


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, September 16, 2017, 5:21 PM, bigmikechen@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

The vent for our central fan/A.C. in our downstairs began dripping--a slow drip. Immediately above it is our master bathroom and shower.

I went upstairs and saw the floor by the master bathroom had flooded about a 1/2". It was last used about three hours ago and there was no water pooling at the time. I shut off the water, drained the tank, and mopped everything up with towels. As I did that, I noticed a tear/raise in the linoleum in that corner.

The dripping stopped. It also notably did NOT smell like toilet.

A few months ago, during a heat wave, that bathroom had previously flooded. I mopped it up and when the heat corrected it was totally fine.

So I think the problem tracks like this:

Something causes the toilet tank to leak.
The leak pools in the back left corner where there is a tear/raise in the linoleum.
The water travels into the floor and somehow gets in the vent.
The vent drips out to us.

Variables - I doubt these are involved but worth noting. 1) a week ago I went into the attic above the bathroom and looked at the furnace blower. I don't think there's any piping there but still. 2) I was digging up weeds in our backyard which has some piping to sprinklers. It's the end of the line and a different line, plus I didn't think I hit anything but still worth noting.

Questions:
1) What are the chances of mold?
2) Is it safe to turn on the AC/vent? Would that actually help the drying process?
3) Should we call our home insurance and just pay the deductible?
4) Is this a "get a plumber in there ASAP" issue or is this something that can wait a few days?


__._,_.___

Posted by: Kraig Nadjkovic <nadj_a_nator@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment