Cartoon Network

02 September 2015

Re: [DIY] Running Cat 5e

 

  The things that come to mind to me is a possible short or break in the lines in the cable. If you were pulling on them to get them through the walls then the cable could be damaged. Or the cable could have been damaged to begin with. A continuity test from cable end to end per line and a short test between lines would eliminate that as a problem.
  I had a similar thing happen when I put CAT5 lines in my house. They all worked except one into the dining area of my kitchen. I tinkered with it a few times and never came to a resolution to what the problem was.  May have just been a faulty connection.
  Also be sure your new configuration is using the same subnet as your old configuration and your router's IP is correctly set. My older routers used the low IP in the subnet, the newer ones use the high IP. You'd probably only have this problem if your network settings are manually set and not using DHCP.
  I remember coming across someone having problems between different CAT implementations from 5, 5E, 6 and 6E but I can't find the reference to it.
Steve

On 9/1/2015 12:13 PM, Ron Johnson l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] wrote:
 

We moved and my wife's office has the modem.  My computer is not set up for WiFi, so I ran a cable from her office to mine by using two Cat 5e plates and cutting the ends off a wire and screwing onto the terminals on the back.  I did this in the last house without problems.  But for some reason it doesn't work here.  I used a different 5e line and ran through the house and it works.  So I know both the modem and my computer work fine. 
 
I've checked and rechecked my connections and, though I've switched a few wires, the colors are the same on both sides:  Clockwise from the top the colors on the plate are blue, black, orange, red, green, yellow, brown and white.  The colors from the wire are blue, blue/white, orange, orange/white, green, green/white, brown, and brown/white respectively.  It should work.
 
I'm wondering if there is anything else that could cause a problem.  Could running it across a 110v line interfere with it? 
 
 

 


__._,_.___

Posted by: Steve Wilson <virtualwilz@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment