Cartoon Network

15 April 2016

Re: [DIY] floor drain in wet rooms

 

I have always thought a floor drain would be a wonderful addition, especially back in the days when we did a ton of canning and freezing.  Clean ups and spills would have been far less traumatic.  I was looking at images of drain covers and there are several that are solid and flat but removable.  This would be a must for me as we pad around in bare feet and some drains could be a bit irritating.  I would think you would want to construct the floor much as you would a large walk-in custom shower area using a membrane underlayment.  You will also want to make sure the platforms for cabinets and appliances are not a part of the slopped portion of the floor.  I would recommend a 1 1/2 inch platform area with the membrane then brought up the sides of the platforms and sealed at all corners so that no water can run under these built up areas.  If you have a good floor drain, believe my when I tell you it will eventually be used to flush rather than a good mop and scrub, or in accompaniment with.

Flat_Land Dale
 

We lived in a home overseas with a kitchen drain in tile floors and it was right in the center.  I would have preferred it not be so obvious, plus if you dropped a screw etc, it would roll right down to the drain.  The room here which will be the master bedroom has a drain in the center also - concrete floors.  Was handy when we had a bad storm and wind driven drain came in.  I have a rug over it now, I always think I've stepped on something.  We are putting in a wet room so the tub and shower are in one room with center drain.  If I was putting one in the kitchen I'd definitely offset it towards the appliances


On Apr 14, 2016, at 11:20 AM, stratmister@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

  I'm building a new kitchen and wish to have a drain on the kitchen floor to drain incidental leaks away from the walls and adjacent rooms.


I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and how you did it.
I'm debating placing the drain in center of the kitchen floor, or just pitch the area immediately under dishwasher, sink, and refrigrator/ice maker, which would be wroughly an 8x3 ft  area.
The floor will be tiled. 


floor drain is very common in Europe and many parts of the world, and here in US. the commercial code calls for floor drain in wet areas like kitchen, locker room, bathroom, etc.
However, residential building code calls for "Minimum code" which doesn't include floor drain.
Its basically no different than the p trap under the sink, then connects to the main 3 or 4 " line in the crawl space. the cost is minimal compared to the typical water damage cased by incidental leaks from failing valves, plumbing, or appliances like DW. or ice maker.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with this let me know.
Thanks.


 




Virus-free. www.avast.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: Dale Schoepflin <dalu@hbcomm.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment