Cartoon Network

15 December 2016

RE: [DIY] Furnace Help

 

There is a sensor that is positioned in the flame of the pilot light. Could be a failed sensor or the sensor may not be in a good position in the pilot flame. The fact you say that it does initially light indicates the pilot igniter is working but it won't reignite if the sensor isn't up to temperature. That sensor cooling off or not working shuts off the gas supply to the burners.
That's the basic design of gas furnaces.



Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4 Active™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Joyce O theoldhen@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 12/14/2016 06:35 (GMT-08:00)
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DIY] Furnace Help

 

Looking for advice to share with my cousin who is having furnace problems. She is a single mom of 3 and never asks for help. Please feel free to share  this with anyone who can help

She lives in Elgin Illinois...so if anyone knows a respectable and honest furnace repair company please let me know.

"
Advice needed Please-Gas Furnace. TLDR: Can anyone tell me what to tell my HVAC company so I can get them to FIX my furnace when I call them to come BACK in a few hours?
In a nutshell, my 18 year old gas furnace (in my drafty 100+ year old house) keeps working normally then starts blowing cold air and won't shut off. Had this issue last year. Thought it was the filter. By removing the filter, furnace would shut off. Turned off thermostat. Turned on thermostat. Gas ignited. Functioning fine. Same thing happened early last Friday. Woke up around 2 a.m. to a freezing house. Furnace running, blowing cold air. Pulled out filter and nothing happened. Had to pull off the front panel (where something like a "kill switch" is) to shut off fan/blower. Removed filter, etc. Worked fine. Friday afternoon it started blowing cold air again. Pull off panel for kill switch, wait a few minutes, switch thermostat on-fine, but kept blowing cold air once it reached the right temperature, so we had to keep repeating the sequence. Called an HVAC company I used before. They charged me $179 to come out. Of course, the furnace was working fine while the technician was here. He supposedly "tested" everything, but couldn't find a reason for it to be blowing cold air. My problem is I don't have enough knowledge about gas heating systems to have the right "vocabulary" to say, "Hey, could it be the ignitor switch?" (or something with the chimney? or whatever). Cold air blowing again today (this is all definitely related to being below 20ish degrees outside). Resetting results in the gas igniting, warm air blowing for awhile, temperature rising, but, at some point, (because I AM trying to sleep), it starts blowing cold air again. I woke up at 12:45 a.m. and restarted everything, but even though the gas ignited, it didn't seem to be warming up. It was 62 in the house when I went back to sleep. Woke up again around 2:35 a.m. and it was 55. I killed it, waited five minutes, turned it on and it is now blowing warm air and the temp on the thermostat is rising, but I am expecting to at some point have cold air blowing again...sigh. Is it some sort of ignitor switch? (Gleaned from a Google search). Or is there something up with the chimney not drawing it (there's a spinny fan thingy at the very top of the furnace chimney-is it frozen stuck?!) or some sort of secret computer panel that I have no idea exists? Also-what should I do in the meantime? Should I shut it down completely? Lastly-I obviously need a referral for another HVAC company because once they fix this (I am assuming they will or they will refund my money), I would prefer to call someone else in the future. Many thanks in advance for ANY help!"



Joyce aka Mom aka Nana

__._,_.___

Posted by: Steve Wilson <virtualwilz@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment