Cartoon Network

25 March 2015

Re: [DIY] hornets

 

There are a whole lot of different type of wasps across the different parts of the world. I replied earlier from my phone.
Here in California wasps, yellow jackets, form a nest with a narrow root that attaches to a branch or eve on the roof. They are super easy to detach without having to use insecticides. I was just spraying the nests on the eve of my roof a few weeks ago. I got stung on the hand, I don't usually. On these type of wasps, you really don't need to use insecticides, I had some so I used it. I just soak the nest with the insecticide and they don't come back to that nest.
I've seen other types of nests by other wasps in other parts of the US that have a wide base. I've also seen others that burrow. None of these types exist around here. Be careful some types of wasps are really aggressive. Looks like some type of wasps have a narrow opening with the nest being hidden inside. Here, the larva are on the face of the nest, easy to see and the wasps cling to the outside of the nest.
The types with a wide base would probably need a pyretherin based insecticide. That is made from the chrysanthemum flower plant. Its very non toxic. Deadly to insects but harmless to animals, including us.
If you kill the nest, scrape it down and wipe what is left with bleach. If you have a reoccurring nest, they have a pheromone marker they come back to. Keep an eye out for any reattempts to make a new nest. Most wasp species are widespread and are always looking for a place to nest. There is no way you can kill them all, all you can hope to do is dissuade them from making a nest where you don't want them. It takes a lot for them to get a nest started, if you kill it before they get much started, the season may end before they get another chance to start a new nest.
Its ignoring or not noticing a developing nest where they get out of hand.
Steve

On 3/24/2015 3:58 PM, jcwaml@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself] wrote:
 

Pardon me if I have sent this before.  Does anyone know how to repel hornets without repelling cats?  They are returning to my cat's a-frame and I would like to let her use it especially now that her kidneys are failing and she needs her favorite things and places.


Thanks for any suggestions,

Ally


__._,_.___

Posted by: Steve Wilson <virtualwilz@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
big nest.JPG 4 of them.JPG

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment