Cartoon Network

17 March 2015

Re: [DIY] Re: Wood deck question

 

I wanted to add that in addition to the Flood UV5 OIL  deck coatings that I have found another true

oil based coating that I intend to try and compare with the Flood product.   It is the TWP100 product.
Again, if the product cleans up with soap and water it CANNOT be "OIL BASED" so dont fall
for the false hype of the new hybred products that claim they are "oil based"

Also I want to thank the poster who supplied all the info and links on the failed composite deck board
products and companies.   I had no idea so many of the companies had gone out of business and the
products were performing so poorly.

Instead of any doubts, I can assure myself that I will get 15 years ( absolutely and probably much more)
of very good performance with pressure treated lumber assuming 
a $500 dollar application of deck coating at year 5 and year 10  and that is still a lot cheaper than any of the
composite board products.     On my next deck build I am considering the use of composite
product just on the railing top for a decorative contrast and one that would not be difficult to
replace if it fails over time.

Still, I think the composite deck products are evolving technically and learning from the failures
of those companies that have gone out of business already.   One of those new companies 
I am following is nyloboard.com  and is claiming to use carpet fibers on the interior of all their
boards.   I do not yet know what material they are wrapped in and exposed to the direct sun
but the manufacturer is only about fifty miles away and that fact might make my experimentation
with the product much easier.    "Plastics" is a confusing product and we have seen a similar
evolution in the use of plastics in windows  and siding and pool furniture and food/storage containers
for homes etc.    There are all kinds such as Vinyl, PVC,  Nylon, Resin, Polyethelene, etc  Which
are best and how can we tell ?

The awkward situation arises from the inability to see "quality"  on the surface and now knowing
we cannot depend on the "warranty" from any new small company.    Rubbermaid and DOW Chemical
are companies that produce "plastic" outdoor utility products but I dont see them selling deck boards
yet.

Scott in Atlanta, GA


__._,_.___

Posted by: 2scott@bellsouth.net
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment