Cartoon Network

22 July 2014

[DIY] vinyl siding dilemma

 

My masonite siding got pretty beat up from our hail storm. instead of filling and sanding and painting, I am going to replace it with vinyl siding. Yeah I know hail isn't nice to vinyl either, but the house and area aren't worth fiber cement siding.
Anyways, about 5 years ago I replaced a lot of the windows with new construction vinyl double hung windows with built in j channel. Cut back the siding and nailed it to the house, and covered with trim boards. I have removed all siding and trim boards and down to the tar paper. As this is an older house I am covering with 1/4 fan fold insulation.
Okay, I got a thicker premium siding with a larger profile, so I need to use 3/4 J channel. The issue my wife has is the j channel is below the level of the window, and she wants it above the window. I need to fur out the j around the windows 1/2 to get it above the level of the window. Or I can go with 1 1/4 j channel for around the windows.
The 1 1/4 j channel is special order, so I can put things on hold for about 3 weeks, but from the side I am not sure how it would look with a larger space between the face of the siding and the j. Looking straight on, I am sure it will look just fine, it would be out past the windows where my wife wants to see it.
Or I thought of gradually furring out the 3/4 j channel. Put a 24 inch wide strip of 1/4 foam around the window, then about a 6 wide strip around the window to get me the total of 1/2 inch. this would bring the j channel profile out past the window, but my concern would be how much the wave would show.
Last option would be cover the complete house with 3/4 of insulation, but I really don't want to do that.
Leaving off the foam and using the j built in to the window is not an acceptable option either.
 
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Michael
 
 
 
 

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Michael Baldwin" <mbaldwin577@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Your New Favourite Group is Waiting for You!
If you enjoy this group, we have suggestions for others you might like to join.

Yahoo Groups
Control your view and sort preferences per Yahoo Group
You can now control your default Sort & View Preferences for Conversations, Photos and Files in the membership settings page.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment