Cartoon Network

09 July 2014

Re: [Norton AntiSpam]RE: [DIY] Electric outlet fails; tell me what to do and I'll do it (carefully)

 

 
 
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 11:15 PM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam]RE: [DIY] Electric outlet fails; tell me what to do and I'll do it (carefully)
 
 

Plug something in that you know works.  If it's loose when you plug it in, then spread the prongs out a bit and see if it helps.   It might be the plug or a loose wire in the back, especially if it's a push-in - they sometimes loose connection - that's why I always wrap around the terminal screw instead. 
Shut the power and unscrew it to check it out. 
 
Nothing is loose.
 
If you do replace the outlet, NEC says you have to use a tamper-resistant type.  They are a little more expensive but safer.  Also, if it happens to be an old house and there are only two wires without a ground, you need to install a two prong plug, which is more expensive.  On my rentals, I try to run new wire, but that more time that the unit is not generating money.
 
22years old
 
I always run electrical tape around the fixture, which covers the screws, when I install a new outlet or switch.  It's a little more safer - especially if you try to grab it without shutting the power off (and there are a lot of guys who do that).  I also tape the wire nuts on my splices to keep the wires together and help keep the nut on.
Will do that. 

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 19:09:58 -0700
Subject: [DIY] Electric outlet fails; tell me what to do and I'll do it (carefully)

 

I noticed my night light wasn't on and tried to plug a new one in. Nope.


So it's get a screwdriver, take off the face plate, throw the breaker, take out the old outlet, go to HD or Lowes and take it with me, and buy another one just like the other one. Or should I ask my knowledgeable neighbor to do it? Seems as though it would be simple enough for untrained hands as long as I'm careful.


Carol In Valrico FL

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Carol Griffin" <ctg@tampabay.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment