Cartoon Network

02 September 2014

[DIY] Wire Repair 2

 

I hate it when I say things are fixed and it turns out they aren't.  Not only is it embarrassing but I look like an Idiot (yes .. with a capital "I").  But I swear, it worked great on Sunday!
 
I checked it yesterday with the fan and before I returned to working on ripping out the water-damaged floor and the ghost was back.  I spent the day checking everything I did before, but this time I added another test: the working voltage on each leg. I measured at the circuit breaker box in the trailer between the neutral and each leg on the wires coming in from outside.  Each time I turned on a light, the voltage shifted: one leg would go up as the other went down the equivalent amount. The total was always 240v, but each leg changed voltage.  I didn't check amps during this test, but a previous check on the initial fan/light situation tells me that this changes also.
 
Knowing this, it should be easy to figure out what the problem is.  Unfortunately, when I took electrical class, they emphasized conforming to the NEC and there was hardly any mention on problems what not doing so would cause.  I'm hoping that this will be an easy fix, but since I'm in the dark on this (literally, since I turned off the power), I need help, again.
 
Another thing, and I'm not sure it it's related or not, when I checked the ground wire coming out of the breaker box in the trailer, I had to remove and lay on a piece of metal skirt.  Since there was contact with the rest of the skirt, as I kneeled down and got shocked.  I measured 15 volts from the skin of the trailer to the ground.  No one noticed it before, because of the shoes they were wearing had insulated shoes.  Kneeling on the moist ground creates a completed circuit.  FYI ... the ground from the box inside is attached to a strut on the frame.
 
 

__._,_.___

Posted by: Ron Johnson <l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment