Cartoon Network

10 September 2014

Re: [DIY] Update on bathroom plug failure

 

not wanting to sound crass, but electricity is not a hobby! good electricians (and other trades people) are not cheap; cheap ones ain't always good. you just have to know when to draw the line...when you or your family is at stake, don't put off safety issues!
knowing someone in the business comes in handy. I am a licensed electrician and heating/cooling contractor. I worked as hard to get and maintain these licenses as any one with a master's degree-or your friend the electrical engineer. therefore, I feel the need to feed my family and have a few toys as much as the next guy! rely on these groups as much as you can, but don't put yours or other lives in danger!
By the way, glad you found the problem!


On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:41 AM, "'Carol Griffin' ctg@tampabay.rr.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
I made do for a long time without the use of the outlet. When my neighbor's dad, an electrical engineer, came to visit last weekend, he kindly came and went over the house with his tester. Found the GFI in the garage was shot, PLUS a loose wire in the bathroom. What's more the box itself, when removed, was Very HOT [ although had been out of use for a month or more]. He replaced both the bath outlet and the GFI for under $20. Wonder what this would have cost me had I given in and called a local electrician? Plenty.
 
He said the Hot Box could've easily started a fire in the wall, so really I should have gone ahead and had it fixed instead of fooling around with it so long. At least I now know that the rest of the house is safe also.
 
Also relabeled the breakers, which were done slapdash when the house was built. No wonder I couldn't find which one was connected to what.
 
Glad I didn't try to fix this myself, thinking it was maybe just pull out one and replace it.
 
Carol in FL


__._,_.___

Posted by: Mike Shoaf <mike.shoaf@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment