Cartoon Network

25 May 2015

Re: [DIY] oiled floors

 

So sorry to hear this Betsy!! I wonder if you overdid it with 5 coats? We are putting down pine boards (repurposed barn lumber in 10 inch widths.)

We are using a product that is a hard wax-oil by Fiddes. Recommended by the sellers and that is what is on their kitchen floor. It was applied 9 years ago and still looks wonderful.

They instructed us to apply and let dry... then lightly sand with 120 sandpaper... then wipe the entire floor with mineral spirits.

Repeat 3 times. Our first floor is looking beautiful and is shiney.

We have just begun the 2nd floor.

Do you always apply 5 coats every year? We are hoping to not have to do this for at least 10 





Joyce aka Mom aka Nana


On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 5:04 PM, kingbetsi@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi. I've been a member here for years but mostly just read and learn. I've used many of the suggestions in posts as I work on my own little place. thank you all.

Now - my dilemma

I have pine flooring that is about 15 years old. I initially stained it and then oiled it with Circa 1850 tung and teek oil. A light grade oil but seems to dry well and is easy to redo. I do this ever year. So,  I recently restained all the dings in my floor and put down a coat of oil every night for 5 nights. The last coat dulled and looks horrible! I don't know what happened or what to do to restore the oiled look. I question if it was too humid? Too cool?.I just don't know what happened or how to fix it. I tried to wipe an area with paint thinner. It did nothing to the finish on the floor. 

Any suggestions or explanation so I can avoid this in the future?

Thanks 

Betsy


__._,_.___

Posted by: Joyce O <theoldhen@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment