Cartoon Network

11 August 2016

RE: [DIY] Re: Sunroom Roof

 

Thanks for the info, Terry.  This is not a standard roof by any means.  I'm sure that the sunroom is a kit that was improperly installed.  When we bought the place. there already had been a repair in the manner of rolling out that grey stuff they use for trailer roofs.  If this was a roof built of wooden joists and plywood under asphalt shingles, there wouldn't be a big problem because there are so many people around here that do roofs, if I couldn't fix it, myself.
 
If I knew of a company that works on these things, I would have called them.  I'm sure they would have to remove the roof and install a new one. And after a few hundred dollars we'd have no problems.
 
As far as nails and screws ... the roof is so thin, I'm not sure nothing but the smallest screws would not pop through underneath.  It's because of this that I don't build a roof on the roof, which is what I thought of doing and would have help in all but the strongest wind. I had a plan that would have even added insulation. This room is the hottest in summer and coldest in winter.  It's on stilts so there are 5 sides exposed to the outside.
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:54:30 -0400
Subject: [DIY] Re: Sunroom Roof

 
(My experience) is that (usually) roof leaks are caused by poor/ improper installation/ repair methods; (few/ small percentage due to old age/ deterioration).  You have now exceeded the limits on the benefits of metal, but also destroyed benefits by using improper repair methods, IMHO.
1) Where exposed screws are used, (e.g. corrugated), it seems to me to be improper to put the screws in the lower part of the corrugated WHERE THE WATER WILL FLOW and seal depends 100% on the rubber washer.  But I have seen this in standing seam also....(probably for wind resistance?)  I FAIL to understand, but (I believe) the rubber washer will fail just like it does on a faucet or garden hose connection when it gets old/ brittle, especially if over-driven or under-driven (i.e. installation error);
2) You bought the place with this in place, and not something you installed... I understand... and needed to repair, but suspect you (should have) called a BBB approved vendor to do proper repairs by (hopefully) skilled, experienced craftsmen.  I guarantee they would not have used the methods that you did..

I once bought a house with porch roof (shed type) running into main roof, (then 6-yr old when leaked) and found 2-4-inches wide x 20-ft of bare plywood where the metal step-flashing had never been installed.  Now tell me HOW that went 6-yrs without ever leaking? LOL

Terry
thenne1713@aol.com


__._,_.___

Posted by: Ron Johnson <l0c0l0b0@hotmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment