Cartoon Network

27 September 2011

Re: [DIY] laminate or tile

 

I do not use laun board or ply stock as some tile mastics will tell you not because the glue in the mastic will delaminate the plys(dissolves the glue holding the ply stock together) an will result in failure of the tile sub floor bond.there are many sub floor options.cement board ,hardi board and mat products such as schluter systems and others.just a note cement board,durock and others has no strength integrity by this I mean if your sub floor has flex the cement board I feel will not be stiff enough to keep the tiles on the floor from cracking or note being able to retane the grout in the seams.you must have a solid and clean subfloor for you tile goods to give you years of quality service.As with any dyi project a properly constructed base always insures a quality finish.hope this helps 
jeff
From: Cindi Waters <clean_boost@yahoo.com>
To: "DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:58 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] laminate or tile

 
Oh, sorry, I did not realize you are probably not in my area ... :-) because I also posted a similar question on a local chat board, but thanks anyway for the info, I sure do appreciate it. Cindi

From: Cindi Waters <clean_boost@yahoo.com>
To: "DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] laminate or tile

Jeffrey, in retrospect, as I look over what I have done in the past, I had a tile floor laid in an apt. and the man said he would use "pearl" stuff mixed with mastic (?) under the tile. I realize now that may have been a grave error. I don't want to make any more mistakes like that and want to do things the right way. I have questions now about a subfloor, as you mentioned, and I'm also sure not everybody will do the right thing so I might have to tell them. For instance, what is the need for a subfloor? And ... would a good subfloor come in handy when and if a tile needs to be replaced? Also, who would tell me the thickness of a subfloor? I am working with a friend who is a handyman, but if this does not work out, I'll let you know. Cindi

From: Cindi Waters <clean_boost@yahoo.com>
To: "DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:49 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] laminate or tile

Thank you for your information, Jeffrey.

From: JEFFREY WILLIAMS <livhosaere62@yahoo.com>
To: "DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] laminate or tile

 
I can tell you that you must know the thickness of you subfloor when considering tile I was schooled in the min. thickness of the subfloor for tile is 1 1/4" this concept has worked well for me in the 30 years of remodeling as I have never had to replace cracked tiles (not broken buy droping things on then) or dislodged grout and that one must read the label of mastic for said tile for the proper base so the products adhere properly..as far as plastic laminate I would like others that have used them to comment on the second part of your question asI have not ever used plastic laminates or engineered flooring.I have only installed tile and real 3/4" t and g flooring

From: clean_boost <clean_boost@yahoo.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 10:20 PM
Subject: [DIY] laminate or tile

 
I am wondering whether to put laminate or tile in my apartment. I like tile, BUT ... laminate may be easier to install and possibly cheaper. Plus the tile I have in another apartment gets grungy in the grout, etc., yes I know it should be sealed ... but my main question is this: if I get laminate, does it easily scratch when and if I move furniture to clean?











__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment