Cartoon Network

23 February 2014

[DIY] RE: Staining Pine

 

Thanks for the replies. I did a bit of googling for information and found just like your replies, that there is a problem often with pine. Difference in the pine and very often blotches like I am seeing are to be expected.

Went to the local small town local lumber yard to purchase the min wax conditioner and the owner told us he discontinued carrying it because no one ever bought it.
Here is what I have learned with my project.
I stained the first door, and inside doorway trim (?)  a 2nd time and let the stain sit for about 7  to 8 minutes. The result was a much darker early american and did help cover many of the problems. Normally I apply stain and follow within a very short time with a rag. This time I read the directions and it said to let it sit for 5 to 15 minutes.

2nd door and inside doorway trim, I applied the softner myself (husband did the first)
I brushed on the stain and set a timer for 5 minutes or so. The color was perfect, matching a window and trim that we put in about 5 years ago.

This tells me that my husband applied a super thin layer of softner! Guess I will have to do the rest of the doors and trim myself.

Now I have another problem. The 1st door will be much darker that the other 4 doors. I must have them done in the ligher shade because of a large window and sliding door that were put in 5 years ago.

What can I do to lighten the darker door and trim? This has become a dang headache. I am not even concerned with the light/dark areas anymore.

Try the liquid laundry softener sometime.  The man who trimmed out our picture window told me about the softner when I told him I could not afford to replace all the doors and trims in our house with oak and had to go with pine.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment