Cartoon Network

10 January 2017

Re: [DIY] Re: Good news/bad news re Samsung Washer

 

Oh my gosh Christine you certainly were thorough  when researching washing machines lol

What size comforter will fit in it? I bought the largest  capacity  Maytag  tub and have to take my queen/king size comforters to the laundromat 





Joyce aka Mom aka Nana


On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:01 AM, opinicize@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I got the LG front loader about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier.  It replaced a top of the line Kenmore top loader that was designed after the Maytag Calypso.  I bought that one for the large capacity washing that it offered.


The Kenmore never cleaned my clothes.  I thought the clothes always smelled dirty, so I started capturing the discharge water into one of those large plastic tubs that you can buy at the big box discount DIY stores.  The water was always clear.  Seemed odd to me that my clothes would always be so clean that no dirt would cloud the water.  I started soaking the clothes in the plastic tub and swishing them up and down to simulate agitation before I would wash them.  It didn't help and was very time consuming.  When the machine tub stopped spinning one day, I had my excuse to replace that machine.  I was more than ready for a new machine, so had been researching for close to a year.

I knew that I wanted front load because I wanted the steam wash feature which (at least at that time) only came on front load.  I didn't want a center post in the washtub that clothes would wrap around.  I wanted the largest tub capacity that I could find so that comforters, dog blankets, and dog beds would have room to move and actually get cleaned.  I wanted deep cleaning (for a change), so I looked to reviews from actual purchasers on the websites for the Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, Menards, etc.  I spent many hours reading reactions to brands and features.

At the time I was doing my research, the Samsung and LG products were both well loved.  When it came down to making a decision, though, I was anxious that I would pick the wrong one and be disappointed.  I added Maytag into my set of options.  Also at that time I had a cousin and her husband that moved states.  While they were looking for a house to buy they rented out a part of a woman's house.  The laundry pair at that rental were the LG front load.  My cousin loved that laundry system so much that she bought the same exact one as soon as they closed on the new house.  It was a surprise to me because she had a prejudice against the front loaders and the extra features they offer.  But ... she was so happy with the clean and the ease of use that she surprised herself (and me) by going with the front load.

Her choice helped sway me toward the LG.  I pretty much decided that I would go with that brand.  The salesman tried to talk me out of the steam wash feature.  He said I'd never use it.  This is where it is important to know thyself.  I knew I'd regret not getting the steam wash option,.so I stuck to my plan.

As it turns out, I love the steam wash.  I use it more than any cycle.  (That doesn't mean that everyone else, or even anyone else, would.  We all have different preferences when it comes to these things).  I continued to discharge the water into the tub to see if the clothes were cleaning.  Finally!  Clean clothes as verified by the dirty discharge water.  Plus, the ultra high spin cycle delivers an almost dry finished load.

The supposed downside to the steam wash cycle is that it is hard on fabrics and will wear out clothes faster.  That is probably so.  I don't care.  What I have read is that the high heat relaxes the threads in the fabric so that they can more easily release the soil.  I'm not going to have an audience with the Queen in anything that I have steam washed, so it really doesn't matter that they are wearing out faster.  I don't spend a lot of money on every day clothes, so it is not a big concern to me when I need to replace them.  I periodically gather together items that are worn out past the point that I want to wear them anymore and donate them to the local thrift store to sell to the rag pickers/recyclers when I take a load of regular donations..  (Our local thrift also takes pairs of worn out and unwearable shoes, but I don't know what they do with those.)


I'm surprised that there has been so much dissatisfaction with the front load machines here.  That has not been my experience.  I do remember reading a reviewer that didn't like the steam wash cycle because it takes so long.  That it does.  I like the longer cycles because I know the clothes are given enough time in the wash to actually get clean.  I spent enough years with a machine that just agitated clothes without washing them that I guess the time factor does not affect me.  Besides, it's not like I'm down there involved in the process.  I put the clothes in and walk away for the two hours it takes to complete that load cycle.  Not sure why it would matter to anyone how long it takes, unless they need to get another load (or several) in that same day.  In that case, planning would be required.  If I were in a hurry I guess I would use the Turbowash (express wash feature).  I don't have a wash day, so I put in loads as needed and have never run into a problem getting clean what I need to wear for the next day.


I have never had a mold or mildew problem, but the tub does smell funky after I wash dog bedding.  I have learned that the smell will not disappear with future loads, so that's when I do a Tub Clean with bleach.  The Tub Clean uses the steam cycle and dislodges anything that has caught in, under, and around that gasket.



Hope this is helpful to some, though it has to frustrate those who hate their front load machines.  That's how I felt about my top of the line Kenmore.  Might as well have been down at the river rubbing the clothes against stones.


I sure do understand the affection developed for the old set that still worked and always performed.  I feel the same way about my first lawn mower (and many other things).  I got rid of that lawn mower simply because I was tired of looking at it.  It was scratched and the paint was worn.  I have been through five machines since then, none of which have worked as well.  Quality tends to be missing in contemporary manufacturing.

I wanted to try a Cuisinart (food processor), but wasn't sure I'd love it, so I knew I'd get one from a thrift or a church sale.  I found one for $4.99 (complete with bowl, blades, slicing, and shredding discs and attachment).  It's from the 80's. - Very heavy and sturdy.  The motor purrs/never labors.  It will outlast me.  By comparison, the new ones feel very light and flimsy.  Not sure they'd last more than a year with considerable use.



Christine - Mpls


__._,_.___

Posted by: Joyce O <theoldhen@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment