Cartoon Network

27 March 2013

Re: [DIY] Water heater

 

Cut off the water first..very important. Then open up a nearby hot water faucet to drain as much as
hot water as possible.
 
Then...
 
Depending on how your valve is set up, you may be able to just open the valve and stick a
coat hanger up through the valve without removing it (I'd try this first since you're throwing the tank away
anyway). That way, when the water starts flowing, you can just turn the valve off, attach a garden hose
to the valve and run the hose outside or to a drainhole and turn the valve back on and drain. Much less
mess.
 
I had a similar problem and because my valve had a severe bend in it (I've since replaced it with a more
modern valve).  I had to remove the entire valve and stick a coat hanger in the hole.  It broke up the buildup and the water started flowing...REALLY flowing..like shooting hot water several feet straight out the hole.
 
It was a Kodak moment.
 
*This will make a mess*  be prepared.  Hopefully you have a drain in the floor near the heater and make sure
you turn off the water to the tank first.  Once the water starts shooting out, you won't be able to stop it.
 
 


 
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Jerry Hnidy <jhnidy@gmail.com> wrote:
 

I have a water heater with a plugged drain valve.  When it has to leave the basement, how do I lighten it?

How much trouble am I asking for if I just drill some holes?

Google Jers Tablet
Woodhaven, MI


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (26)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment