Cartoon Network

22 May 2014

[DIY] A different door problem

 

When I went to close my bedroom door this afternoon, it didn't feel right,
so I checked the hinges. Top hinge was about to fall off the door frame.
Took the door off the hinges so that I could put the screws back. Nope.
Screw holes completely stripped. I was able to pull two of them out by
hand. Under the hinge I found what's in this first picture:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sandaidh/media/100_1526.jpg.html

This picture is of the bottom hinge, still on the door frame;

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Sandaidh/media/100_1528.jpg.html

What appears to be a crack, the entire length of the door frame, is actually
a seam, where one board was nailed to another. On looking, I found the nail
heads. And, of course, that seam is where the screws which hold the hinge
in place are located. My question is how to fix this. Obviously, given the
condition of the wood under the top hinge (first picture), I cannot just
fill in the screw holes and put the screws back in. That's not going to
hold for long. The door is five panel, solid wood, and heavy. Do I replace
the entire face board; cut a piece out where the hinge is and replace that;
or...what?

Yes, I know, the easiest is to just leave the door off.

Sandaidh
sandaidh@atlanticbb.net

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Sandaidh" <sandaidh@atlanticbb.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment