Cartoon Network

08 May 2014

Re: [DIY] Attic ventilation with furnace

 

Use a humidistat to control the fan instead of a thermostat.  They make such fans often used for under house crawl spaces or basements.  Also, maybe you need to check the vapor barrier in your ceiling.  Finding and controlling the source of the moisture is more important than allowing it to continue and removing it.
Remember this is only a thought from a southerner who has never lived farther north than Texas.
On 5/7/2014 11:42 AM, p_dragovich@sbcglobal.net wrote:
 

Experienced a mold problem in my attic over this past winter in the Chicago area. Was told that my attic wasn't properly ventilated, and that the growth was caused by the furnace keeping the attic too warm over the winter. I had noticed the frost buildup on the plywood of the attic, then about a month later saw all the mold growth. I have had the mold remediated, but now am struggling a bit to determine how I should go about having it better ventilated. Today I have a ridge vent and eave vents in every opening. They are clear from blockage as I can see the daylight in them and have the baffles installed. Assuming that is all god, my focus has shifted to possibly installing a all-season power vent so that if the humidity rises, I can circulate air in the attic, but I'm also considering other options. Maybe gable power vent? Thoughts? Not sure which way to go with this.


Thanks in advance, Pete


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Just launched ! Link preview on Yahoo Groups
Visit your Group on the web, simply paste the link to the article, photo or video you wish to share in the message you are composing.

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment