Cartoon Network

15 October 2015

[DIY] Mouse/mice in garage pantry

 

Yesterday, we discovered about 10-15 mouse droppings in our garage pantry. Our pantry has three shelf units; one of them has perishable foods on it. That is the only one that had mouse droppings. It looked like they were maybe 2-3 days old, and we followed cleanup advice by not disturbing the area yet. However, a closer look showed that there wasn't a lot of food that the mouse/mice actually got into.


We put out four traps in the area of the shelf yesterday and I took photos of the shelf for reference. I also sealed off the bottom of the exterior door with a vinyl weather seal (the only obvious point of entry I could see).


24 hours later, no new droppings, no movement of food packages, and the traps are still at their default setting with cracker/peanut butter bait. It's probably worth noting that our street has 2-3 regular outdoor cats (ours are indoors) that can be seen patrolling fences and hanging out in the brush.


How much time should we give it before we can safely assume that the mouse/mice are gone? And I'm assuming the best thing to do is throw out all the food and sanitize with a bleach spray? What about non-food stuff in the garage (athletic equipment, storage bins, etc)?


I was also reading that a mint spray around the house perimeter is a good preventative. 


Also, though I sealed up the gap with the exterior door, it has a dog door. We've left the metal panel in for now but can mice get through the vinyl flap? 


Hopefully he was just passing through, realized we have a hound dog and 3 cats and decided "This place isn't for me!" :)


Sorry if this message is a little overkill for what might just be one mouse. A year ago, I'd be more casual about it but since my daughter was born, I feel my Papa Bear instincts kicking in!


__._,_.___

Posted by: bigmikechen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment