Cartoon Network

28 October 2015

Re: [DIY] Lift Assist Hinges

 

Thanks for your patient and polite responses. I am trying to be helpful.  I am an engineer and we tend to be a bit dry in communications. :-)


Your most recent post clarified things for me.  Unfortunately, your research is muddied by some incorrect information posted by Rockler.   One of their pubs states inch/pounds.  Torque is measured in length*force units. In this case it should be expressed inch-pounds.  I understand where the (divide by 2) factor comes from now.  The depth of the lid/2 expresses the position of the center of gravity.

You said you need a value ranging from 1000 to 2000.  I assume that is inch pounds. If you use two assist hinges placed 4.5 inches from the center of rotation, I derive that your mini roof weighs between 100 and 200 pounds.  Is that correct?  Is your mini-roof uniform thickness?

Bob

On Oct 28, 2015, at 12:49 AM, subprong subprong@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

No worries, I wouldn't be surprised if I were using the improper terms or at least used improperly.  I've read so many things that they've all become jumbled.  Also, keep in mind that I've been looking at spring hinges, gas springs and soft close devices.  You'll see that formula (whatever it may be) for these hinges....

__._,_.___

Posted by: Bob Davis <bob@wrobertdavis.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment