Cartoon Network

28 October 2015

Re: [DIY] Lift Assist Hinges

 

To answer some questions in the thread...

David, it's a mini-roof that opens up.

Mountain Master, there is room on the inside (and actually that's what I'd prefer) for the assist hinges so long as they are not massive.  I hate to narrow or constrain the field but was hoping to find something for purchase and also relatively priced and located.

Bob, I think I'm using the correct term but perhaps not.  As I've been researching these devices, I've seen a formula given with several products.  The formula is to basically determine how much force or torque your item needs in order to lift it so that you can compare it to the pound rating for the hinges.  The formula is weight (pounds) x (TIMES) width (inches) (front to back) / (DIVIDED BY) 2 . What I need is between 1000-2000.  The highest I've seen in-store is about 100 per hinge. 

Something I've also been wondering....  I imagine the perfect rating matchup will perfectly assist the device up or let it down (essentially floating up and down).  It would be fine if it simply makes it easier to lift.  I'm wondering if a device rating of 200 will have any impact on a lid that optimally requires a 1500 or so rating. 

 

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Bob Davis bob@wrobertdavis.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

pounds per square inch is an odd rating for this application.  Are you sure it was rated in pounds per square inch?


Bob

On Oct 27, 2015, at 12:34 AM, subprong subprong@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Any ideas or help with this please.  I need some sort of device that would make a heavy lid/top easier to lift.  The device would work in conjunction with existing hinges.  I've seen things such as assist hinges, self balancing hinges and gas springs.  The problem is that the torque value for these devices is well below what is needed for this application.  The highest I've seen (at least readily available) would be a value of about 300 pounds per square inch (and that's using 3 hinges).  I need something well above 1000.  

Any ideas on products and where I can find them?  Thanks.



__._,_.___

Posted by: subprong <subprong@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment