Cartoon Network

07 January 2016

Re: [DIY] Pictures for Hot water connections

 

You're a little over my head Dale :)  Know nothing about check valves, the hot water flow is slightly less than the cold - but not much.  i.e., it takes about 5-6 seconds to fill 16 oz with cold water and 6-7 seconds with hot.   Not sure if you mean open the faucet at the sink or the turn off under the sink.  And the pump, are you referring to the water heater?


If I were doing it over, I'd do it differently but if wishes were horses we'd all ride :)  This is an unusual situation we have and most workers just throw up their hands and don't want to tackle it.  If I could afford it I'd reroute the kitchen right now.  DW to the right with extra counter space and Stove/MW to the far left.  Add different cabinet configuration at the same time, but ….. that's not going to happen at least not till we get the downstairs finished.

By the way - the new washer/dryer is coming this morning and they will be connected to the recirculator and the new plumbing system.  I'll see how that goes.  I have my old set just on the other side of the wall from the water heater so almost instant hot water.  I may find I have a problem getting hot water to the new ones located in the new laundry room, 15-20' away from the water heater.  Now, off to the new doctor to see if they can release the pinched nerve in my back or do something to give me some relief — if not I'll be posting a new question to the forum, LOL.

Everything else aside, I sure do learn a lot from everyone on this forum, weather it's my problem or someone else!!  Thanks for hosting it.


On Jan 6, 2016, at 10:24 AM, Dale Schoepflin dalu@hbcomm.net [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

It also occurred to me that if they did not put any check valves in the system and the flow rate is too small to activate the pump you could be pulling cold water in a back flow through the pump and thus diluting your hot water to the dish washer. This is just one more reason I do not like recirculating hot water system.  You may notice that hot water pressure or flow seems to be less than the cold water and this is not uncommon.  What this does do is result in a drop in pressure between the hot and the cold water lines, almost guaranteeing cross communication of cold to hot if the pump is not running.   You might also try turning on the hot water at the sink with a very small flow and see just how much you need to open the hot water valve before you activate the pump.


Flat_Land Dale 
 

The hot water line runs about 27" inside the cabinet (temp average 60) - maybe another 24" to cross the back of the DW, and come up underneath where it connects.  Just tested… a 1/2" pipe x 24" long - holds slightly less than 4oz.  So, even if the line was 4' long and 1/2" in diameter, it wouldn't hold over 8 oz.  Doesn't seem like that's enough to dilute the hot water coming in that much. I'll have to do some more testing with this theory.


Evidently dishwashers do not note how much water goes in - just fills to a point that activates the control panel……my water level is to the correct notch so it's getting plenty of water.  GE says the profile uses 5gal a cycle — but doesn't specify which cycle. I purchased this because it has the best reviews of all the new ones, even beating out much more expensive models - though you can't call these cheap :)


This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast. 
www.avast.com


__._,_.___

Posted by: "oakridgefarm@gmail.com" <oakridgefarm@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
Cold Water Connecton.jpeg Hot Water Connection.jpeg

Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment