Cartoon Network

15 January 2016

Re: [DIY] Water softener discharge

 

I have been discharging my water softener into my septic tank for 30 years without problems. 
Lee

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 14, 2016, at 8:28 PM, Mike Shoaf mike.shoaf@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

might want to check with a septic tank company-will the discharge from your water softener mess up your septic tank? is the discharge pressurized? if so, you may want to connect to the drain line thru an upward facing "Y" fitting so that the fall of the waste water will be forced down: that is, one side of the Y connects to the existing drain and your water softener drain would connect to the other side of the Y. when connecting a condensate drain (from and air conditioning coil for example) I am required to leave an air gap at my connection to avoid any back-up into my drain line;any back-up from the out going drain would spill out thru the air gap I suppose


On Thursday, January 14, 2016 5:46 PM, "multiuseguy@yahoo.com [DoIt_Yourself]" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Right now my water softener, located in the basement, discharges into my sump pit then is pumped out to the yard. I want to drain it into the waste line that runs from my kitchen sink to my septic inlet pipe located in the basement.

My idea is to drill and tap, just above horizontal center, the side of the 1 1/2 PCV sink drain line and screw in a threaded to ribbed tubing transition plastic pipe. The point of insertion would be about 6 ft. from kitchen trap and 30 ft. from septic inlet at basement wall. Total 1/2" softener tubing run would be about 25 ft.

My concern is contamination from the kitchen sink so I'm wondering if a inline spring loaded check valve would take care of the that problem. I assume that the check valve would not close until the water pressure was relieved between the softeners drain shutoff valve and the spring tension on the check valve.

Comments and alternative idea's welcome,
Thanks, Gene



__._,_.___

Posted by: Lee Griffith <ldgriff@earthlink.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment