Cartoon Network

29 November 2012

[DIY] I didnt win!!! Back to the hole-y old house

 

Sealing question again... I previously asked about sealing outer pipes with expanding foam and I will do that today( pray-tel it wont misfunction in 40degrees). However, after doing the flame test with my trusty bic flame lighter thingy, Ive discovered indeed there are lots of reasons for my cold home.. Now Im no snowbird so getting it sealed once and for all is of urgency to me.

All my newer (15 yr old) windows dont pass the test. Patio door is really flickerng, I understand that to be a big common problem in homes. My research tells me that it must be sealed from the exterior and that it must be coming in from the typically ignored seams of the frames. So in these cases, longevity is desired. Would I choose a siliconized acrylic or the elastomeric type- im guessing clear or white are fine and I would not want to paint (vinyl siding)? Do I need to prepare surface? Can I use some old stuff if I have it Or is newer better?

My older windows that were never replaced Ive decided to put up interior plastic around the wood trim but they are in need of caulking, will be replaced someday, so what about using Seal and Peel, or that rope caulk in this case?

The old basement window is really breezy but its also really dirty. Whats the best treatment for that at this point? I think it should be replaced sometime.

Ive discovered mortar caulk for the fireplace crack outside, yeah!

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment