Cartoon Network

23 November 2012

[DIY] Re: Flooring for trailer help

 

Buzz Kill Alert

Putting anything down until you find the source of the water infiltration is extremely risky. As with everything, foundation is critical. Noone can guarantee a good flooring outcome if what's underneath it is failing. Plus, the previous answer is correct: you will need to get that subfloor replaced. If you don't, you will want to kick your own butt when the trouble starts. "Good Enough" is usually only good enough for the short haul, but a big mistake in the long run. The more money you put into the tile and its installation, the more concerned you need to be about the prep for its correct installation and longevity.

In these situations I always think of the old adage: Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over. Another adage: Better safe than sorry.

Christine - Mpls

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "cleanboost2" <cleanboost2@...> wrote:
>
> Well, we bought the trailer. Could be a mistake, but here's what the story is at this point:
> We had a handyman take up the carpet. Under the carpet, we found patchwork and damage from moisture. Not sure if it's still leaking, a person came around and looked at windows, said the windows were causing it, so he's going to seal the frames and straighten out a window frame which he says is causing a big leak when it rains. Hope that is what's doing it. Now we have raw floors in most of the trailer. I have been investigating types of flooring; I want vinyl sheeting or tiles. My first handyman fired me, because I kept calling him and even going over to his house when he did not show up as agreed. :-) OK, so maybe it's for the best that he fired me. I was going to fire him anyway but my husband wanted to keep him but fortunately he got real annoyed with my constant calling and then visiting him to find out why he didn't show up as agreed. OK, great. Now I have to look for someone else.
>
> Now the question: there are some heavily textured and sturdy vinyl tiles, in the $1+ area each tile. Then there are latched tiles where you do not need ANY SURFACE PREPARATION. They are very expensive, like almost $5 a tile at Home Depot, etc. But again -- NO SURFACE PREP. I do not want to spend 4-5 thousand on tile, but this tile appears to be worth it. It even can be replaced individually when any water damage may occur. I have approximately 780 feet to cover, maybe more.
>
> Here is a link to that particular style: http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-Vinyl-Tile/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq27Z1z0z4f8/R-202988315/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UK49aIYi7Ec
>
> I think it will be worth it if a person has the money, but I have several questions. Anyway, I would probably want to hire someone to lay the tile, adding in to my cost. I'd like to keep costs down because I don't know how long we'll actually be in the trailer home. My next question involves this: there are a few other types that I wonder how they will work. The next one is this one: It has no underlay, but appears to be very thick, textured and sturdy, and I truly doubt it will show any situations bothering it underneath as to come up to the surface as in a splinter or pin that will rise. http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-Vinyl-Tile/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq27Z1z0z4f8Z1z0yzfbZ1z11crp/R-203602391/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UK4-1oYi7Ec
>
> The website for the more expensive one has reviews on it (no, I don't always trust reviews, but they're helpful) saying how easy it was to install. Maybe it's true. Maybe I, with my arthritic and bad knees and feet can do it. Maybe not.
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment