Cartoon Network

06 October 2013

Re: [DIY] hand drill / non-petroleum old-time grease...

 

From: jomarex@earthlink.net

I sure like human-powered tools. Found a hand drill at a flea market; looked
like it had maybe never been greased/used, and appears to be pretty good
quality. A little bit of rust here and there. The only markings I see on it
are 28800 and a 2 on the next spoke. The gears are very sharp.

I had some extra virgin olive oil handy, so I dripped it into/onto every
little oil hole and moving part. (I take every chance to avoid PETROLEUM)

Cranked it around, let it sit for a couple days. Now it'll be hard to turn,
then easy to turn, in random places on the wheel. Once, I got it going
pretty fast and smooth, but after it stopped, it's back to the
mostly-stiffness. I loosened up the handle screw enough that the big wheel
wobbles.

I don't get it. Maybe it's *not* good quality.
------------------------------

I recently acquired my second old spinning wheel. My first is now at least
100 years old, and yes, it still works. However, at the beginning, they've
both had the same problem as your hand drill - getting, and keeping, moving.
What I did with the first wheel, and am in the process of doing with the
second, is grease the heck out of everything which moves, and then get it
moving. Do this often. Sometimes have to be a little gentle in getting
started, but it does improve. Let it sit a while, and repeat the process.
It takes time, but will gradually get better. Patience and persistence pay
off. The only time I can think where this wouldn't work is if it's damaged.
If it can be taken apart to check for damage, without damaging it, then do
so. I did with both wheels, and the second is now sitting with a clamp
holding down a piece of wood which would have chipped off had I not seen it.
A little wood glue and a clamp will fix that problem.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is...grease/oil and move, grease/oil
and move, grease/oil and move. Once you have it moving, keep it moving for
a while to spread the grease/oil around. Repeat as often as necessary.

One other thought just crossed my mind as I wrote this, and maybe someone
more knowledgeable about grease and oil can weigh in. It may be that the
extra virgin olive oil is too...'light' an oil, and you need something
'heavier.' Really old spinning wheels were often lubricated with whatever
grease/oil was handy, most often something like bacon grease. My oldest
wheel is heavily stained with whatever lubricant was used. I use 3-in-1 oil
on my wheels. Yes, I know it's a petroleum product, but if I used bacon
grease, my dog and cat would be munching on the wood! For comparison, I had
another wheel where the preferred lubricant was...Vasoline...petroleum
jelly. So maybe try a 'heavier' lubricant.

Hope this helps.

Sandaidh
sandaidh@atlanticbb.net

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment