Cartoon Network

10 August 2014

Re: [DIY] Burned out Circular Saw

 

Funny you should mention that because on the following cut, I actually switched to a much shorter cord "just in case".  It's at least a 50 footer and I have no idea of the gauge because I've yet to locate it on the cord given the surface has been through the ringer.  That said, I always use that cord for everything.

The blade is the stock blade and therefore I imagine it's about 10 years old.  It has been used but not excessively.  I'll check for wobble and sharpness.

There weren't any scorch marks on the wood.  However my thought at the time is that the wood was pinching the blade and causing it to bog down.  I was ripping at an angle which is usually a bit tough.  Another thought.  As I was reading around on troubleshooting stuff, there was mention on whether a lot of sawdust has gotten within the unit.  I would say normally "no" with previous usage.  However, on the few cuts that day it really kicked up a ton of fine sawdust. 

So, I guess I'll just have to crack it open and see if there is anything unusual going on (brushes, burned wires etc.).  Until then, I'll just keep giving it a go and see if she continues working on less stressful cuts.

Thanks gang.



On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 6:33 AM, John and Carmen Stuart johnandcarmen@bellsouth.net [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

How long is that extension cord? What gauge?

~~~~~

On Aug 9, 2014, at 2:15 AM, subprong subprong@gmail.com [DoIt_Yourself] wrote:

 

I think I burned out or nearly burned out my circular saw (Skil) and am wondering if I can do anything about it and whether I should/can continue to use it.

The saw started to bog down a bit during a rip cut and during the cut I smelled something burning.  I didn't really think the saw was struggling so much it warranted burning out and therefore thought or rationalized that maybe it was just the smell of the wood scorching.

I finished the rip cut and onto another.  I noticed when initially firing it up that it didn't "sound" as powerful as it once did.  The same struggling went into this cut.  I stopped it and noticed smoke coming out of the circular saw vent on the motor housing.

I started it up hours later hoping that it just needed to cool down.  However, it still sounds weaker than normal.

I'm curious if there is any sort of troubleshooting or fix that I can take on for it.  If not fixable, I'm also curious if it's safe to continue using it until it flat out gives up.  I don't use it very much but would rather fix it as oppose to chunking and re-buying....but not sure if it's worth whatever hassle it would take to get it back up to speed, if even possible.



__._,_.___

Posted by: subprong <subprong@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment