Cartoon Network

29 August 2014

Re: [DIY] NT / Damaged oak table

 

Hi Carmen I am sorry that happend to you. I am sure you are pretty frustrated.  

I bought a used vintage table and the bottoms of 2 legs were pretty rotted. One was missing quite a bit. 1 to 2 inches in a jagged pattern.  I bought Min Wax wood filler. 


I drilled a hole into the bottom of each leg and inserted a long wood screw. 

Next I used a piece of cardboard and folded it to match the rest of the table leg. Used rubber bands to hold it on and filled the entire area thing with the mixed up wood filler. I let it set for a couple of days to make sure it was dried all the way through. It never cracked. Each leg was probably 1 1/2 inches square.

After I took off the cardboard form I sanded it with sandpaper. 

I didnt bother to stain or paint the min was wood filler. 

Good luck on your table. 





Joyce aka Mom aka Nana



On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM, 'carmen s.' mom2mini@bellsouth.net [DoIt_Yourself] <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I bought an old small oak table from one of the local thrift stores and as they were pushing it into the van, over-stressed a leg and a piece of the wood leg- close to attaching the table top, broke.
The guys hid this fact from me and took the broken piece .. now I am left with a 4 inch chunk of missing wood revealing the supporting large screw showing almost the whole inner threads.

It would have been nice if they had left the broken piece as I could have glued and clamped it all in a neat repair . So now I need to stabilize, repair and add something to give it all needed support.

Small layers of some kind of wood filler, with intermission in-between layers?
Any suggestions for products that might work and application?
carmen


__._,_.___

Posted by: Joyce O <theoldhen@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment