Cartoon Network

24 January 2013

Re: [DIY] Need to find a Tool:

 

I'll be sure to let everyone know how well it works once I get it.  I sometimes need long fluted dowels to re-glue and restore window frames, chairs, and other pieces of furniture.  If they aren't fluted they will act as pistons and actually split the wood.  I have a glue gun that is adapted from a small grease gun and I can use to put glue into joints under high pressure.  Using a lathe I can drill a small hole down the center of the dowel and then once I have driven it in place shoot the glue down the center and let it completely penetrate the surrounding area.  I don't use it very ofter as it is kind of a bear to clean up, but when needed I've never found anything to replace it.
Dale in the Flatlands.

Steve Wilson wrote:
 

I saw that dowel fluting jig that Dale ordered but I didn't think it had flutes on it. It looked like the cutters were smooth by the picture. Good thing someone else looked closer than I did.
Steve

On 1/23/2013 12:31 PM, subprong wrote:
 

I had no idea such a thing had existed.  I was intrigued by your design illustration and started to look things up based on your description.  Initially I saw something called "dowel plates".  I watched some great videos of folks creating dowels (out of sections of wood that they had cut on a bandsaw) via these plates .  I thought that was the coolest thing ever.  One of my favorite shows was something that had once aired on PBS.  A woodworker would create projects out of what were essentially man-made tools.  Everything was from scratch.  It reminded me of that show.

As for the keywords, I don't know how it came about.  I read your description and started looking at the plate pages and I think the ebay page that Steve had sent.  It was Dowel and Flute that resulted in the initial link. 

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Dale S <dalu@hbcomm.net> wrote:
 

Thank You so much.  Just placed my order for one and with shipping it was less than $21.00.  There are lots of times when I need a dowel or two that is longer than the standard 1 or 1 1/2 inch but the pressure lock from inserting a regular smooth dowel means I need to do something to score the sides.  This will be just what the doctor ordered.  I don't know what you used for a key search word but it had to be one I overlooked.
Dale in the Flatlands.
subprong wrote:
 




__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment