Cartoon Network

24 January 2013

Re: [DIY] Think PVC:

 

When you need some item you can't find elsewhere, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/#
McMaster-Carr has a VERY wide range of items, mostly hardware at rerasonable prices. They are NOT Harbor Freight, but the quality is way higher.

KrazyKyngeKorny (Krazy, not stupid)



On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:25 AM, Bob Davis <bob@wrobertdavis.com> wrote:
 

I love the polycarbonate stuff (lexan is one brand).  It is almost (literally) bulletproof. It can be drilled and machined and cut on the table saw. It is expensive, but I have a source that most people don't have. There is a custom plastics manufacturer in our city.  They throw their cutoffs and odd pieces into a big scrap bin.  They allow me to come in and prowl their scraps to find whatever I need and give it to me.  I find a range of colors, thicknesses, and sizes in those scraps.

 

I like your idea of making router throats and plates.

 

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dale S
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:48 PM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DIY] Think PVC:

 

 

There are times when a clear material besides glass or plexiglass would be nice.  Plexiglas is not only expensive but brittle and cracks or breaks to0o easily to be used in a shop environment.  I ran into clear sheet PVC several years ago and still have a small 1/4 inch think scrap left which I have been closely guarding.  I needed to make a new base plate for one of my routers the other day, or else remove the template bushing from the one it had which did not particularly appeal to either since the hole would still be too small for the cutter I wished to use, and then I remembered that scrap of PVC.  Twenty minutes later I had a new clear base plate that looks every bit as good as what I might have bought if I could have even found one.

A 24X48 inch sheet of 1/4 inch clear PVC is available from US Plastics for about 84.00 plus freight and while that is certainly not cheap a piece that size would probably make all the throats and plates a person would ever need.  There are other thicknesses also to be had but that is what I had in stock.

--
Dale in the Flatlands.


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment