Cartoon Network

16 July 2013

Re: [DIY] cutting metal lanterns

 

You can get an inexpensive version of the vibra saw from harbor freight which might do the job for you. just be careful not to break the glass.  A drill and hole saw will also make a round hole to let the light out, and they come in many sizes but they also can grab as they break threw.  Best to use one until the metal under the saw cut is thin enough to finish and trim with left or right cut tin snips.

Dale in the Flatlands. "Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous."
Lee M-S wrote:
 

I have some Moroccan-style lanterns I'd like to use for island lights in my
kitchen. Unfortunately, they have solid sheet metal bottoms, and I'd like
to cut them out to let light actually reach the island.

problem 1: the bottoms are recessed, with a decorative flange I'd like to
keep.
problem 2: the metal is fairly heavy, maybe 1/32"
problem 3: the lanterns have glass panels, making them fragile
problem 4: I don't want to have to buy an expensive tool to do this.

I have a dremel, tin snips, drills, jigsaw... I might be able to borrow an
angle grinder, but don't think it would fit inside the flange.

Any suggestions? You are welcome to ignore any single problem above...

thanks,
Lee


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment