Cartoon Network

08 August 2013

RE: [DIY] Exhaust Fan in one of my bathrooms

 

OK ... the buzz means the motor is trying to move but can't.  Sometimes it's something caught in the blades, but I assume this sort of thing would catch your eye since you've removed it. 
 
Have you tried to plug a lamp into the electrical socket in the box for the fan?  Sometimes, with a drop in voltage, there will be that buzz.  It is possible that your hot wire is not functioning right and you might be getting some power from the neutral, which happens if the electrical connections aren't right.  
 
Put a meter to the outlet in the box and see what you have.  Check between the hot and neutral, neutral and ground (the box should be grounded) and between hot and ground.  If it reads 120, 0, 120, in that order, the wire is good.  If not, I think you can access the wires by taking out the plate that hold the fan; then you can see if a connection is loose.  If you can access it from above, that would be better, since you can also check to see if any small animal has had a meal out of the wire and also check to be sure the fan exhausts to the outside.
 

To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
From: an1mal_l0ver@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 21:12:20 -0400
Subject: [DIY] Exhaust Fan in one of my bathrooms

 
Hello everyone,
I need some serious advice. My exhaust fan in one of my full bathrooms has stopped working months ago. 1st time I attempted to get it to work, I bought a motor at Lowe's and after I replaced it, it made a little noise but no movement. After 1 min. there was no sound or movement. I thought that may be the motor was defected, so I went back to exchange it. When I got a new one, I had it tested at Lowe's and it worked just fine. When I replaced it at home, there was no sound or movement. I then took a small table lamp and connected it to the outlet that the motor was connected to and the lamp turned on and worked just fine. So I am so confused as to what is wrong here. If the electrical outlet was fine, after I plugged in and turned on my table lamp and the motor wasn't broken, since j had it tested at the store and saw it working. I was thinking of just replacing the entire exhaust fan unit, but I am worried that a working exhaust fan won't work in my house. Need help!!!

Thank you for your input,
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment