Cartoon Network

22 September 2013

Re: [DIY] Table Saw

 

Hi Subprong. 

I'm talking about cutting Bamboo flooring strips. I would essentially need to cross cut and then rip the last row. 

The strips are about 3-4 feet in length. 

Originally I was going to bring a radial arm saw to my house from my mothers house, but it is HEAVY. I mean heavy. I think it was made in the 50's. It is so heavy, that at first I thought it was mounted into the cement floor.

Then I figured maybe a table saw could both rip and cut giving me an advantage over the radial arm saw. 

Frank

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 21, 2013, at 2:55 PM, subprong <subprong@gmail.com> wrote:

 


Are you talking about sheet goods such as plywood and OSB.  Or are you talking about ripping 2x4s.

A table saw will cross cut, rip cut, miter and bevel.  However, how well it does is the big question and determined by the saw that you purchase.  IMHO, you'll not want to settle for cheaper home use models (Skil and such).  Look for at least the mid-range more powerful models that also offer a bigger surface area for the wood.

Either way, you may want to build some extension tables for the saw for the big pieces of wood to set on while cutting and to slide off onto once the cut is finished.  If a piece of wood sags or drags or rocks off the blade, bad things can happen with the cut and potentially to the operator.

Here is a rather fancy version.  You could actually just use portable patio tables that are set up at the same height as the saw table, if need be.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Articles.aspx?articleid=432

Also, know that Home Depot and Lowes stores both have a huge saw and will cut sheet goods for customers.  This is good if you need big 4x8 sheets cut down to size for transportation reasons or if you simply need them cut down to size for storage or more manageable pieces to cut on your own table saw. 

-

If you've got money to burn and want to buy a specialty tool, you could opt for a track saw for those big pieces of sheet goods.  Takes up a lot less space....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SE8Cjfb7VY8#t=175

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Frank Ruggiero <frankruggiero@me.com> wrote:
 

Hi Experts.

Am I correct in assuming that if I purchased a table saw, that I could cross cut and rip wood that is about 4 feet in length?

Trying to find one machine that can do both.

Thanks.

Frank

Sent from my iPhone


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment