Cartoon Network

04 April 2014

Re: [DIY] Re: Hot water tank

 

I did read and I do appreciate your rather lengthy dissertation on the advantages of Heat Pump Water Heaters, however for the average home owner and in the light of the improvements in other means of generating hot water they are still way down on my list of preferences and I will attempt to explain. 

1)  It makes no sense in my not so humble opinion to maintain a 50 gallon reserve of hot water that must in most cases be mixed with cold water, when water can be instantly heated in only the quantity needed and only to the temperature desired with a unit that is nearing 80% efficiency.

2)  Every conversion process has inherent efficiency losses and overall electric heating is the worse of the bunch.  You burn gas to generate steam, which is then converted to mechanical motion in a turbine, which mechanically rotates a generator that converts relative motion into electricity.  This electricity is then transferred to the end user after numerous voltage conversions where it is then converted into mechanical motion that is used in the refrigeration conversion cycle to generate heat.  I prefer the direct approach, burn gas, heat water no more than needed and be done with it.

3)  I have yet to see a heat pump in which the compressor has outlasted the expected life of a simple water tank, and as has already been mentioned, machines are noisy while burners are fairly quiet by comparison.  It should be interesting when they begin putting these units in some of the modern homes that do not have basements and that have floors that already tremble with each footstep.

I will concede that if a person is so unfortunate as to live where electricity is the only source available then heat pumps might be the answer, but having lived through and witnessed the nightmare of the total electric craze of the 70's and 80's I would hope never to need to live where the electric company holds me hostage.  As for requirements after 2016, I thank God every day that I am so old that perhaps I will not live to see the day when some pin headed regulator controls every aspect of daily life in this the used to be land of the free. 

While I could carry this further I opt to rest my case.



Dale in the Flatlands. "Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous."
LarenCorie wrote:
Heat Pump Water Heaters can be an excellent option
I have used them in the last two highly energy efficient
houses that I have designed, and will likely use them in
virtually all from now on. After 2016 all electric water
heaters, over 50gal, that are sold in the US, must be
HPWH.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (29)
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment