Cartoon Network

26 October 2011

Re: [DIY] Kilz Premium primer

 

I appreciate your input. I am a little concerned about the oil-based primer because I've heard never to use to oil based paints, because it is supposed to be so hard to get off, is that right? But I suppose that since this is a primer, there should be no 'need' to take it off. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would imagine that it would have better coverage than a water based?


From: Jan Flood <jan.flood2@att.net>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] Kilz Premium primer

 
I've never used Kilz High build primer, never needed it, but in general I swear by the oil-base Kilz.  It is a little harder to apply, and you don't want to roll back and forth over it like you would regular acrylic as it will pull off.  One coat is usually fine, but yes, you can use two coats if necessary and if you want white walls you might not even have to paint over them.  Our last project was painting over a very dark patterned wallpaper.  We did use two coats of oil-base Kilz Primer because the paint was a very light color.  It gave a perfect finish and anyone would be hard pressed to know what's behind it.  The other bath we removed "most"of the wallpaper, repaired the necessary places, sanded and used one coat of kilz primer since it too was a very light color paint.  In both bathrooms even though one coat of paint covered well, we used two to give it a deeper finish and so it will hold up to washing etc.

Definitely get the odorless.  It's a few dollars more but well worth the money.  If the wall was washed good after removal of the wallpaper I don't see a need to use anything else if the drywall is completely dry.  A good primer can do wonders  but I don't think there is anything that will make bad spots disappear, and yes, there are a lot of defects in the walls of old houses.  One thing I'd learned over the years is to not judge the finished job as soon as you are finished.  Let it dry a few days, put some furniture back in, hang a few pictues and view it in the light you normally would.  Things that look glaring alone can disappear once you have something else to look at.  

Sounds like a fairly simple job has turned into an expensive project - and the original object was to save money I think.  You are the best person to judge if something is going to work, and if it's going to be acceptable.  It might cost a little to buy some samples of each finish but in the long run, you'll know if the final product will be pleasing to you.  Since you're going to redo the wall anyway -- do some test spots and see how you like it.  Kilz is great stuff, but not the easiest to apply, takes some getting used to.


On Oct 25, 2011, at 6:28 AM, Cindi Waters wrote:

 

Here is a link to the description of Kilz Premium primer. I'm thinking this may be the one for me to use. But I do have some questions.
http://www.masterchem.com/masterchem/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=d467079e24683210VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD
One question is: can I use two coats of primer if I feel it is necessary? And the next question is regarding the fact that wallpaper has been removed from some of the walls and it left a slightly sticky residue behind which the young lady did use DIF wallpaper paste removal on as well as rinsing it down. So -- I'm wondering if I should use Zinsser GARDZ before I apply the primer.

From: Cindi Waters <clean_boost@yahoo.com>
To: "DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com" <DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [DIY] Kilz primers

 
Two points regarding Kilz High Build Primer. Regarding the description of Kilz High Build Primer, they say that backrolling is not necessary and will cause surface defects. I assume backrolling means going back and forth over the same surface instead of giving just one stroke. That is a question. Their description also says " It can be used on all interior ceilings and walls including paperless drywall." I don't know if I have paperless drywall, in fact I think I have paper drywall. So because it says it can be used of ALL walls, I suppose that means paper drywall as well.
From: clean_boost <clean_boost@yahoo.com>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:05 AM
Subject: [DIY] Kilz primers

 
I'm learning more about Kilz primers. Two of them caught my interest for future paint jobs in this apartment. The first one is Kilz General Purpose Wall Primer, but the one that I'm wondering about and am really intrigued by the description, is Kilz High Build Primer. Here is a link to the description, in case anybody could comment on this. It claims to go on thicker than regular primer and that might help me with my walls. BUT -- and this is a big but -- (in my mind anyway, and I thank you guys for going through all these questions with me) what happens if I have to take the Kilz High Build Primer off the wall for some reason? (one of those reasons might be that it just didn't cover the small protruding blemishes as I thought it would) The reason I'm asking is because up until now I see that ANY indentation under the paint seems to be showing up, and it is interesting to note that I was recommended to use Behr's paint and primer in one. Clearly this may not be enough to hide problems under. Therefore, I am intrigued by the description of the Kilz High Build Primer. Please let me know what you think. http://www.masterchem.com/masterchem/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6e52079e24683210VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD







Jan Flood






__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment