Cartoon Network

27 October 2011

Re: [DIY] Kilz Premium primer

 

You'll want to apply the primer wherever you plan to apply paint.  "Cutting in the edge" isn't a big deal - there are so many tools to use these days.  I like the little edger, not sure what it's called, like a 3"x4" flat roller with little wheels you roll along the top of the wall.  They drop down as you're painting so you get a line exactly along the ceiling.  Don't overload it, or it will drip paint everywhere.  If you have trouble getting paint on it, apply paint to the edger with a brush.  If you go slow and take your time you should have no problems getting right up to the edge of the ceiling with no "cutting in" problems.  You can also get very small rollers, like 1.5" wide to do the edges, use them with a little roller pan, again, don't overload it with paint, and it goes fast.  If you use a brush only do an inch or so in width since the area you apply with a brush will be smoother. In fact, whichever method you use, only edge as much as necessary to be able to run the roller without hitting the ceiling.  In addition, you want to paint ASAP after doing the edge prep.  If you let it dry before you start painting with the roller, you'll see a definite line the next day.  It's easier if you have someone to help, they can go ahead of you with the edger so you come right behind before the paint dries.  If there's no one else to help, take even more time to just do a small line as close to the ceiling as you can get with an inch or so leeway to run the roller.  This is boring, and time consuming but worth it.


Even though you plan to pull up the carpet, I'd put plastic or painters canvas down.  It's cheap insurance as dripped paint will get tracked all over the house and you don't want that with oil-base primer - plus I'd cover anything you don't want paint splatters on.  Taking the time in the beginning is much preferable than having to do a lot of cleanup after the fact, at least for me.  If you have long stretches of wall you might think about doing one wall at a time. edge the top and corners, then roll it.  Move on to the second wall area etc.  Is there a short wall you can practice on?  There are tools you can buy, straight-edges, you hold against the ceiling while you paint with the other hand.  My experience has been either the straight-edge or the ceiling isn't exactly straight so it's not perfect but does work.  Manilla folders also work, hold the folded edge against the ceiling and quickly run your brush etc along the edge.  Have a few on-hand since once it gets paint on it, it will smear.

I'm sure you can prep the walls yourself, diy.com has lots of videos on doing all these techniques.  It isn't hard - I think the biggest problem people run into is not letting products dry enough before they apply the next layer.  We let patches dry overnight, primer overnight - then a second coat of paint can be applied in a few hours.  You can apply a second coat of primer sooner, but the more time it has to dry the better it will last.

Also, read the instructions on how to apply the primer, since you apply it differently than paint.  Roll it on once - do not go back and forth.  I don't know if Kilz has videos but you can find a lot on You-Tube for any subject on the planet :)


On Oct 26, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Cindi Waters wrote:

 

That is exactly what I"m seeing that I need two coats of primer, which is why I am so glad I had only one room + closet done so far. Because I realize that it might help if I apply 2 coats before I paint. I do believe I can prep much of the walls myself, including applying the primer. Maybe not on the top, but now I have a question about using the primer. Am I to "cut into" the top with primer? I know I'm supposed to do that with paint. Most of the room is carpeted, and we're planning to rip up the carpet and have it replaced, so it won't matter if paint spills on the carpet. Thanks for your help so far. Cindi


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment