Cartoon Network

27 October 2011

Re: [DIY] next, the Kilz primer

I think you would have avoided these additional problems had you used the oil-base primer, that's what it meant for.   The water-base is more general purpose.  
The oderless is easy to use, even in an enclosed area with no window, and provides a good base for the latex paint to adhere to.  I don't understand your averision to the oil-base, since it is made for the type of problems you have, unless it is the cleanup.  Use plastic bags to cover the roller handles and paint pan then just throw the bags and the roller away when you're finished.  Minimum clean-up.
KILZ Odorless®
KILZ ODORLESS® is an oil-based, fast-drying primer, sealer and stainblocker with an ultra low odor formula, making it ideal to use in areas where higher odor levels are prohibitive.

Where to Use 
KILZ ODORLESS® is a fast drying primer, sealer and stainblocker. Its ultra low odor formula significantly reduces lingering odors, making it ideal to use in areas where higher odor levels are prohibitive. Its powerful stainblocking formula blocks most stains caused by water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and grease; seals pet and smoke odors; and creates an excellent base coat for latex or oil-based paint. Use on interior surfaces including furniture, woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, wallpaper, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces. KILZ ODORLESS is not recommended for mold or mildew-prone surfaces or on flooring.

On Oct 26, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Cindi Waters wrote:

 

So hopefully I won't mess things up where I'll have to pay more for a person to come in than I would have had to if I hadn't messed things up. :-) I am now in the process of filling the holes (properly, if possible) and then applying a primer FIRST before painting. That way anyway I can see imperfections before I apply the paint, and I SUPPOSE it would be easier to correct from the layer of primer, rather than after having painted. (right?) That being said, I got Kilz2, but I see it really does not "cover" everything. And it seems from the description that I might even need 2 coats of primer. questions, questions. Because the Kilz2 did not cover all the stains, but apparently from the description, it might not do that and a cover of paint would go OVER the primer to truly block the stain. Not sure. Be that as it may, the stains are not that bad (maybe a pencil mark or something) where I am testing the primer. But the Kilz PREMIUM seems to be thicker than the Kilz2 (from the description) and so I'm wondering if that would be a better choice for me. Whatcha all think? I decided not to go with the oil based primer for various reasons even though it might work for some.



No comments:

Post a Comment