Cartoon Network

27 October 2011

Re: [DIY] Kilz Premium primer

 

Yes, I know ... I suppose there should not be imperfections showing through the primer, but I did put one coat of regular primer on a small section and yes, I did see some tags and so forth, so I was wondering if the primer could be sanded down slightly if need be and would sanding be harder with oil base primer than water base. Anyway, at this point I am inclined to go with water base primer, now the Kilz Premium because once again, I'm scared of the oil, yes, cleanup is a fear with me.

As I was doing this job, thinking how difficult people make things (I'm thinking specifically of drywall and how it is so commonly used in building materials, but imho so difficult to fix or work with), it just makes me sick. Which of course leads me to another situation, which is disposal of paint. I know you're not supposed to dump it down the sink, but what about washing the brushes? Isn't that bad for the water supply to let the excess paint washed off from the brushes, etc., go down the drain? What a stupid mess society is, that's all I have to say. First they make things and then they declare them dangerous.


From: Jan Flood <jan.flood2@att.net>
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [DIY] Kilz Premium primer

 
Why would you be sanding through the oil-base primer?  The prep should be done before you apply the primer.

You remind me of my husband, LOL, a brillant man who had great success in his profession because of his abstract thinking.  But he is always asking me questions that would never even occur to me.  It's not that they are foolish questions, just that he approches things from a different direction than I do.  If you give us a math formula to figure out, I work it out with paper and pencil.  DH will look at it and a few seconds later give you an answer - he has some crazy formula he uses in his head.  When he had budget meetings the budget director would hand out pages of material, Dh could look at it and could give them the ramifications for years down the road.  Same with legal situations.

But when we married, 52 years ago, he had zero ability to do things around the house - his father wanted him to go to school so wouldn't teach him or let him touch his tools.  My Dad was a general contractor and thought everyone should know how to do basic things so I learned early.  Even when he was too sick to stand he'd sit on a chair and give my husband instructions on how to do things.  The first time DH knocked down a load bearing wall I thought he would pass out, sure the entire house would come down on us.  But since, he's jacked up a house and repaired the foundation plus all sorts of repairs. 

We can't do everything anymore but as you're learning, the will to learn goes a long way and there is a tremendous satisfaction in know you did a good job.


On Oct 26, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Cindi Waters wrote:

 

Jan, now I have another question. I applied the water base primer just for fun on a patch of the wall, and see little flecks or imperfections coming through. I am trying to sand them off. So my question is: can I sand through the oil base primer as well, if I have to?




__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment