Cartoon Network

24 December 2012

Re: [DIY] Indoor Statue Repair

 

It took me awhile to remember what I had seen at some hardware stores in the past. What I saw made me try something that seemed a bit unusual at first but for a block wall it worked.
 I was trying to anchor a new fence to the mortar in a block wall and accidentally chipped a big chunk of block off. What I had seen was a glue that looked like exterior woodworking glue that was for binding a wet concrete patch to a concrete slab.
What I did was mix a bit of mortar, then covered all the area I was going to apply it to with the glue, then laid the mortar on top of that, along with the broken chip, while it was all still wet. I laid it all in so it looked like the original. Its been over 10 years now and that chip is unrecognizable. It was my neighbors fence so I was more than a bit concerned over it.
From what I saw of your statue, you might apply yellow or white glue all over the foam and edges of the broken area and mix a bit of mortar to fill it in.
The trick would be to match the texture and color of the original. The glue is really good at binding the dry mortar to the wet.
Just sharing my experience.
Steve

On 12/20/2012 5:57 AM, Aki wrote:
 

All this talk about cement has reminded me that we have a 4ft tall indoor
angel statue
that the base was chipped when a vacuum cleaner hit it. The company is out
of business
so I can't contact them how to repair it and searching for "indoor angel"
brings back hundreds
of thousands of hits. :-(

Anyway, I *think* the angel is covered in some type of resin with the inside
being some kind of
hardened foam. It's not really heavy (about 20lbs) so I know it's not made
of a wood frame.

I've uploaded two shots of the angel to the photo album "Aki's Album" on the
website in the photos section.
One picture shows the angel and the other shows a closeup of the chip
itself.

I have NO IDEA where to start on repairing this item. I'm hoping someone
here who's familiar or
have repaired these type of statues may have some thoughts. I do know there's no place I'm aware of that does these type of repairs so it's definitely a DIY project.

If it's any help, this statue is strictly indoor, it is not made to be
placed outside.

If anyone has any recommendations on any groups that may be more knowledgeable on repairs like this, I'd really appreciate that as well.

-aki


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (37)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment