Cartoon Network

28 December 2012

Re: [DIY] Re: Walls

 

The name doesn't ring any bells.  I restored the first of the ancient buildings along the waterfront for the Newburyport Art Association, and that is what provided the impetus to put a halt to the intended urban renewal which would have razed most of the business district.  We inspired local artists to begin recording the city with the admonition that it would soon be gone, and as is often the case public interest begins to build and the rest is history.  Up until that time all of the work and money had been directed at saving the old homes on High Street.  The association bought the building for around $3,000 and I had a $1,500 budget to work with to restore the first floor, provide heat and new electrical wiring overhead lighting and heat.  The project took me two years and cost me much of my sense of humor.  I doubt you could touch that building for 3/4 of a million today.




Dale in the Flatlands.
 
The small structure and entrance to the right has been added.  The
building was originally a tea warehouse or so they say.


Inside view during an art show.  I removed 5 ceilings to get back to
the original beams which were covered with white paint and had to be
very carefully sanded.  Some of the beams under the first floor were
old ships masts and the places where the iron band were located can
still be seen.  I'm sure a lot more work has been done in the 40 years
since we left that area.



Suesan Packer wrote:
 
Newburyport is a very pretty city!
 
Did you know Joe Pearson? He had a boarding house for years there....
 
Suesan

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Dale S <dalu@hbcomm.net> wrote:
 

Speaking of houses, I went to Google earth last evening and had a look see at my old neighborhood in Newburyport, Mass.  The house I bought in 64 for 13,800 just sold for 469,000 though I will admit they have done a lot of remodeling, but one just down the street that looks exactly like it did when they were built is valued at 268,000 and another one with only a small addition on the back is priced at 368,000.  The anual taxes on my old house is over 4,500.   I'm sure glad we didn't try to make it back there or I would have gone completely out of my mind. 

Dale in the Flatlands.
ddj0195 wrote:
Thanks all. These suggestions are about what I thought too. Painting over wall paper, I've seen that before. The long term makes it even harder to get rid of the paper. The glossy red paint, I think that can be handled. Hopefully we will find the perfect house without any of those wall problems to be fixed.



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment