Cartoon Network

28 December 2012

Re: [DIY] To H____ With The Gas Bill:

 

My problem is that I got both my hands and my feet frost bitten working on shipboard radio and radar antennas above the arctic circle in the 50's and once that happens the nerve endings quickly let you know when it is cold.
Dale in the Flatlands.

Bob Davis wrote:
 

My totally un-DIY related experience with cold toes is cold-weather cycling (bicycle, not motorcycle).  No combination of shoes, socks, and other magic cold weather insulation would keep my whirling toes warm.  Then I tried the disposable chemical heat packs and they work wonderfully. I use the small packs that just cover the tops of my toes.  They last for 3-4 hours and keep the toes toasty. I think these are common for snow skiers, but I wouldn't know, since I don't ski.

 

Bob

 

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dale S
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:14 AM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [DIY] To H____ With The Gas Bill:

 

 

Got the air temp up to almost comfortable, but then my toes began to get cold.  I hate regular shoes and wear Moc's most of the time.  There really is something to be said for "in the floor" heat, except it takes forever to get the slab warm so would not be practical for a home shop that is only in use a few hours a day.  I'm waiting for a shipment of corner clamps so I will use that as an excuse to shut it down until they get here, supposedly some time today.

Dale in the Flatlands.

Bob Davis wrote:

 

Absolutely!  What good is a shop if you don't use it, especially in the golden years?  I don't live in the climate you do, so heating is not as big a deal, but air conditioning is.  I insulated my 2 car garage-shop and added a super-efficient heat pump.  We receive artic air dumps weekly during our "winter" and it has been wonderful to walk out into a perfectly "t-shirt comfortable" garage-shop.  Then occasionally (like the day before Christmas), it gets warm enough to run the air conditioner.  Fortunately, my energy bill hardly wiggles when I run the heat pump.

 

From: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dale S
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:50 AM
To: DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DIY] To H____ With The Gas Bill:

 

 

I've been sitting in the house since last Saturday because I didn't want to run up the gas bill by heating the shop.  Well, enough is enough and bill or no the furnace is on in the shop and I'm out of here for a few hours at least.

--
Dale in the Flatlands.

 


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment