Cartoon Network

03 December 2012

[DIY] el. radiator / circuitry / Re: Now about space heaters

 

As far as I can tell, the electric oil-filled radiator heaters are basically the safest space heater... I still keep flammables away from them, but the heat is spread over such a large area that the cat bundles up directly against it on cold days, and doesn't catch on fire.

All that large area, and all the "fins" to spread out the heat, instead of one tiny area of intense, concentrated heat that most other heaters put out. (this is also why I like the idea of the wall panel heater) And they are really hard to tip over, at least if you have a wall on one side of them like I do.

Now on to worrying about the house wiring, again... This house has 20-amp breakers, 15-amp receptacles, and the circuit I have this heater plugged into ranges all up the middle of the house. I've gradually figured out which receptacles are on this circuit, and usually, there's only one or two lamps on any time the heater is on. It did trip the breaker when I plugged in the vacuum, too.

How hard should I try to get around to putting in a dedicated circuit for this heater?... I know that sometimes I worry overmuch...

Joy

--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "wired" <wiredformen@...> wrote:
>
> I feel the radiator heaters are safe enough as long as you have an electrical circuit that can handle it or any heater. A kitchen plug would be the best place to plug one in as they are 20 amp compared to typical 15 amp in the bedroom or living room. Electric blankets are good, but they are not a hot pad in that they are meant to keep you warm in a cold room. That is to say that if the room is 68 degrees, they do little. If you are in a room with little or no heat like about 50 degrees, they will work fine. I grew up using one because my Mother did not trust leaving the open flame gas heaters on at night.
>
> --- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "cleanboost2" <cleanboost2@> wrote:
> >
> > I bought one of those oil filled radiator looking things on wheels, but after being warned I might set a fire, I got scared. so I have not taken it out of the box. The electric blanket i

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (23)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment