Cartoon Network

01 December 2012

[DIY] Re: Generator size

 



--- In DoIt_Yourself@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <edmcm2000@...> wrote:
>
> My well has a submersible 240V 1 1/2 HP pump about 280 feet down in the hole. Can anyone tell me how big a generator I'd need to run it? Thanks, Ed
>

Our well is deeper (about 500 ft). I'd have to look it up to see the size of the pump. When they installed the well, the drillers ran it on a Miller Bobcat 250. Over kill? You bet. On the other hand, it can be used to weld if the need arises.

Our one other requirement was that it run on propane. Propane can be stored for years without turning into soup. I don't have to drain the fuel every so often. I had to order it special, but the local welding supply got it for me. We probably paid more than we could have, but we rest easy that the Bobcat will run the well and house for a very long time. (we have 3 125 gal propane tanks). On top of all that, I hope like heck I never have to use the rig for an emergency.

I noticed with Hurricane Sandy, many gas stations had to close because of no electricity to run their pumps. They had plenty of gas, they just couldn't get it out of the tanks. Propane could have the same problem as there are pumps involved. We keep two of our tanks filled. BTW, our house runs on Natural Gas. The propane is for backup only.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
Recent Activity:
Please send decorating questions to Interior Motives List - to subscribe send an email to: Interior_Motives-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment